Primary School Junior Competition - 2018 Season 1
- Start date: Monday 5th February
- End date: Monday 25th June
High School Junior Competition - 2018 Season 1
- Start date: Tuesday 6th February
- End date: Tuesday 19th June
High School Senior Competition - 2018 Season 1
- Start date: Wednesday 7th February
- End date: Wednesday 27th June
Junior basketball is about participation and enjoyment for all players. To help keep situations of team dominance at a minimum, the mercy rule (defensive restriction) shall apply to all domestic junior competitions.
- The defence is required to drop back to within the 3-point line whenever the opposition gain possession, from an inbound or field play, if they have a lead of 15 or more points.
- In games where zone is permitted, the leading team shall use a man to man defence inside the three point line, not a zone.
- Scoretable officials shall notify the coach and referees when the mercy rule needs to be applied.
- Referees may give one warning to a team for a mercy rule violation. Following such warning, any repeat offending from that team during a game shall result in the referees calling a violation and the ball awarded to the opponents for a throw-in.
- If the margin between the two teams returns to within 15 points, the mercy rule shall no longer apply.
- The mercy rule is not applicable during any semi, preliminary or grand final games.